How do I remove this stain from my area rug? As professional carpet cleaners in Lawton, Oklahoma we get asked this question frequently. After trying probably every over-the-counter stain remover on the market, we have found a couple of DIY stain removal tips to try before spending your money on cleaners that don’t work or calling a professional carpet and rug cleaner. Sometimes a stain will come out easily, and sometimes professional cleaning services may be needed – all stains and area rugs are different!
DIY Stain Removal for Rugs:
- VERY IMPORTANT – Before starting, make sure the rug is not a high end oriental rug as it may bleed. Check the tab. Click here for a good article giving 3 signs of a quality oriental rug.
- Mix 32 oz. of water to 1 tablespoon of Dawn liquid detergent. Mix well and put in spray bottle. (If it’s an oil-based stain the Dawn should help out.)
- Spray enough to saturate the affected area.
- Lightly agitate and dab a little bit to smear the area.
- Allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Now extract with water and wet/dry ShopVac. Do not use a regular vacuum!
- If the stain comes up all the way, place a fan to dry the area. If not, repeat process one more time.
- If the stain is still there we recommend contacting your local professional carpet and rug cleaner. Upon inspection they should be able to give you a good idea if the stain is even removable or not.
Seem like too many steps? We agree. Make it easier on yourself and use our Spot Out Spot Remover instead! Not only is it safe for carpets, pets, and people, it’s ready to use with no rinsing required, plus it’s residue-free. Spot Out is so effective that one application may be all you need to remove any carpet, rug, or upholstery stain. Just spot, dab, dry, and you’re done! Click here to learn more about A-Team Carpet Clean’s Spot Out Stain Remover.